Wednesday, November 02, 2005

That word again

I'm sure there's a good word for it. It kind of feels like you're saying weltanshauung or bremsstrahlung, but not meaning either of those things. Something like foreboding, but scarier.

Teaching college kids is like giving class presentations three times a week. With grading. And when the class is boring, or the explanation unclear, or the assignments too difficult, they're frustrated or angry at you their instructor. And that's not very fun for anyone. And linguistics is supposed to be fun. At times like these I want to return my contract and 85 bucks a week, and return to my garden on the slope of South Mountain. The students deserve better than this, and I can't deliver.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's times like these you want to do a lot of things. But you don't. That is what builds strength in people and in life.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, teaching is like this. Especially if they didn't give you any training or even just a list of expectations. It's the trial and error part of learning. (Did I ever mention that I don't like trial and error nor guess and check?) So you rework, toss out, come at it from another direction, or decide that moving on to the next topic may be a better option, especially since some of the stuff they didn't get the first time may make better sense in a different context. Hang in there. I think you are a natural teacher, and that's a gift. But even gifts need to be honed and/or refined. Stay the course.

Anonymous said...

Being sick can also add to this morose feeling you describe, mr. carroll. my sister, a weathered high school English teacher, still has panic attacks before returning to work after any length of break. It's a face job, and it's hard for most people. However, it's also a necessary one, and you're doing a great job. Don't expect young adults to appreciate you; SDSU students rarely appreciate any teacher. Only a few more weeks to go; hang in there!

serapio said...

Thanks all for the encouragement.

caedmonstia said...

Did I ever mention how much I admire you for having survived being a substitute teacher? Surely there can't be much worse than that...